The Bibles Big Story
Part Four – Covenant Confidence
Deuteronomy 10:18 – 19
– God has a soft spot in his heart for outsiders, and outcasts, for all people that are on the margins of life.
“The LORD executes justice for the orphan and the widow, and shows love for the alien by giving him food and clothing. So show love for the alien, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt.”
– Covenant/peace treaty – A two-way agreement, if broken it is punishable by death.
- Covenant Confidence Asks for God’s Help
“Do not abandon your servants. Come up to us quickly and save us! Help us, because all the Amorite kings from the hill country have joined forces against us.” Joshua 10:6
- Covenant Confidence Expects a Blessing
“The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day. There has never been a day like it before or since, a day when the LORD listened to a man. Surely the LORD was fighting for Israel!” Joshua 10:13-14
- Covenant Confidence Receives the Honor
God says, “So what? You are mine and I’m happy to bless you in front of others.”
- Covenant Confidence Expects Enemies to be Defeated
“Don’t ever be afraid or discouraged,” Joshua told his men. “Be strong and courageous, for the LORD is going to do this to all of your enemies.” Joshua 10:25